🙋 Introducing Yourself in Hindi: Basic Grammar for Self-Introduction
Learn Hindi Grammar Naturally Through Real-Life Conversations 🇮🇳
Want to introduce yourself in Hindi but don't know where to start?
You don't need to memorize complicated grammar rules before you speak.
In this beginner-friendly lesson, you'll learn the basic Hindi grammar patterns needed for self-introduction through simple, practical examples.
You'll learn how to say:
My name is...
I am from...
I am a student.
I am learning Hindi.
What is your name?
Where are you from?
What do you do?
How are you?
Every example includes:
Hindi → Roman Hindi → English
By the end of this lesson, you'll be able to build simple Hindi sentences and introduce yourself more confidently.
introduce yourself in Hindi
📚 Table of Contents
Why Learn Grammar Through Conversations?
Personal Pronouns in Hindi
The Hindi Verb "To Be"
Formal vs. Informal Hindi
Gender in Hindi
Hindi Sentence Structure
Useful Question Words
Useful Connecting Words
Common Beginner Mistakes
Quick Grammar Practice
Grammar Check
Frequently Asked Questions
🌟 1. Why Learn Grammar Through Conversations?
Many beginners think they must memorize dozens of grammar rules before speaking Hindi.
The truth is much simpler.
You can learn grammar naturally by:
🗣️ Listening → 🔁 Repeating → ✍️ Practicing → 💬 Speaking
Instead of studying grammar as isolated rules, you'll learn useful sentence patterns that you can immediately use in real conversations.
For example:
मेरा नाम एमा है।
Mera naam Emma hai.
My name is Emma.
Once you understand this pattern, you can easily replace the name:
मेरा नाम डेविड है।
Mera naam David hai.
My name is David.
The goal is not to memorize one sentence.
The goal is to understand the pattern.
Remember:
🗣️ Speak first.
📖 Learn grammar naturally.
💪 Practice every day.
👤 2. Personal Pronouns in Hindi
Pronouns replace names or nouns in sentences.
For example, instead of saying:
John is from Canada.
You can say:
He is from Canada.
Hindi also uses pronouns to identify people.
| Hindi | Roman Hindi | English |
|---|---|---|
| मैं | Main | I |
| आप | Aap | You — formal/respectful |
| तुम | Tum | You — informal |
| तू | Tu | You — very informal |
| वह | Vah / Woh | He / She / That |
| यह | Yah / Yeh | This / He / She |
| हम | Hum | We |
| वे | Ve / Woh | They |
💡 Important Pronunciation Tip
In everyday spoken Hindi:
वह is commonly pronounced woh.
यह is commonly pronounced yeh.
So beginners will often hear:
वह कौन है?
Woh kaun hai?
Who is he/she?
🙏 Cultural Tip: आप, तुम, and तू
Hindi pronouns are not only about grammar.
They can also communicate respect and familiarity.
आप — Aap
Use आप (Aap) when speaking respectfully to:
Teachers
Elderly people
New acquaintances
Customers
Professionals
People you don't know well
आप is the safest choice when you're unsure.
Using आप shows respect and good manners.
तुम — Tum
तुम (Tum) is commonly used with:
Friends
Brothers and sisters
Children
Close acquaintances
People of a similar age when the relationship is familiar
For example:
तुम कैसे हो?
Tum kaise ho?
How are you?
तू — Tu
तू (Tu) is a very informal form.
Depending on the relationship and tone, it can sound affectionate, intimate, or rude.
For beginners, it is best not to use तू unless you understand the relationship and context well.
⭐ Beginner Rule
When you're unsure:
Use आप (Aap).
🏗️ 3. The Hindi Verb "To Be"
English uses:
I am
You are
He is
She is
We are
Hindi uses different forms of the verb होना (hona) — "to be."
For basic present-tense introductions, three forms are especially important:
| Hindi | Roman Hindi | English |
|---|---|---|
| हूँ | Hoon | am |
| है | Hai | is |
| हैं | Hain | are |
मैं ... हूँ
मैं छात्र हूँ।
Main chhaatra hoon.
I am a student.
A more gender-neutral beginner-friendly option is:
मैं विद्यार्थी हूँ।
Main vidyaarthi hoon.
I am a student.
वह ... है
वह डॉक्टर है।
Woh doctor hai.
He/She is a doctor.
आप ... हैं
आप शिक्षक हैं।
Aap shikshak hain.
You are a teacher.
हम ... हैं
हम भारतीय हैं।
Hum Bharatiya hain.
We are Indian.
🧩 Easy Pattern
Remember these three patterns:
मैं → हूँ
मैं + ... + हूँ
Main + ... + hoon
I am...
वह → है
वह + ... + है
Woh + ... + hai
He/She is...
आप / हम → हैं
आप + ... + हैं
Aap + ... + hain
You are...
हम + ... + हैं
Hum + ... + hain
We are...
These patterns will appear repeatedly in everyday Hindi.
🌍 4. Formal vs. Informal Hindi
Hindi changes depending on who you're speaking to.
The difference is especially important when using आप and तुम.
Formal / Respectful Hindi
नमस्ते।
Namaste.
Hello.
आप कैसे हैं?
Aap kaise hain?
How are you?
आपका नाम क्या है?
Aapka naam kya hai?
What is your name?
Informal Hindi
तुम कैसे हो?
Tum kaise ho?
How are you?
तुम्हारा नाम क्या है?
Tumhara naam kya hai?
What's your name?
📊 Formal vs. Informal Comparison
| Situation | Recommended Pronoun |
|---|---|
| Meeting someone for the first time | आप (Aap) |
| Business meeting | आप (Aap) |
| Speaking with a teacher | आप (Aap) |
| Speaking with hotel staff | आप (Aap) |
| Speaking with a taxi driver | आप (Aap) |
| Speaking with a friend | तुम (Tum) |
| Speaking with a brother or sister | तुम (Tum) |
| Speaking with a close friend | तुम (Tum) |
⭐ Beginner Tip
If you're traveling in India and aren't sure which pronoun to use, आप (Aap) is usually the safest choice.
👩👨 5. Gender in Hindi
One important difference between English and Hindi is that some verb forms change according to the gender of the speaker or person being described.
This is particularly noticeable with forms such as:
रहा / रही
raha / rahi
and
आया / आई
aaya / aayi
👨 Male Speaker
मैं भारत से आया हूँ।
Main Bharat se aaya hoon.
I have come from India.
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
I am learning Hindi.
👩 Female Speaker
मैं भारत से आई हूँ।
Main Bharat se aayi hoon.
I have come from India.
मैं हिंदी सीख रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon.
I am learning Hindi.
🧠 Easy Gender Rule
For these common patterns:
👨 Male
रहा
raha
आया
aaya
👩 Female
रही
rahi
आई
aayi
Example: "I am learning Hindi"
👨 Male:
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
👩 Female:
मैं हिंदी सीख रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon.
Don't worry if this feels unfamiliar.
You'll become comfortable with these forms through repeated practice.
🏗️ 6. Hindi Sentence Structure
One of the most important Hindi grammar rules is word order.
English commonly uses:
Subject + Verb + Object
For example:
I speak Hindi.
I = Subject
speak = Verb
Hindi = Object
Hindi commonly uses:
Subject + Object + Verb
मैं हिंदी बोलता हूँ।
Main Hindi bolta hoon.
I speak Hindi.
Literally:
मैं + हिंदी + बोलता हूँ
I + Hindi + speak
The verb comes toward the end of the sentence.
More Examples
I am learning English.
मैं अंग्रेज़ी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Angrezi seekh raha hoon.
I am learning English.
I am from India.
मैं भारत से हूँ।
Main Bharat se hoon.
I am from India.
My name is Emma.
मेरा नाम एमा है।
Mera naam Emma hai.
My name is Emma.
Notice that Hindi literally follows a pattern closer to:
My name Emma is.
I like traveling.
मुझे यात्रा पसंद है।
Mujhe yaatra pasand hai.
I like traveling.
This is an important Hindi pattern because Hindi does not always express "I like..." in the same structure as English.
🧱 A Useful Self-Introduction Formula
You can build a simple introduction using these patterns:
1. Name
मेरा नाम ___ है।
Mera naam ___ hai.
My name is ___.
2. Country / City
मैं ___ से हूँ।
Main ___ se hoon.
I am from ___.
3. Profession
मैं एक ___ हूँ।
Main ek ___ hoon.
I am a ___.
4. Language Learning
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
I am learning Hindi.
Female speaker:
मैं हिंदी सीख रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon.
5. Likes
मुझे ___ पसंद है।
Mujhe ___ pasand hai.
I like ___.
These five patterns are enough to begin creating your own Hindi self-introduction.
learn Hindi grammar naturally
7. Useful Hindi Question Words
Question words help you continue a conversation after introducing yourself.
| Hindi | Roman Hindi | English |
|---|---|---|
| क्या | Kya | What |
| कौन | Kaun | Who |
| कहाँ | Kahaan | Where |
| कब | Kab | When |
| क्यों | Kyon | Why |
| कैसे | Kaise | How |
| कितना | Kitna | How much |
| कौन सा | Kaun sa | Which |
Examples
What is your name?
आपका नाम क्या है?
Aapka naam kya hai?
What is your name?
Where are you from?
आप कहाँ से हैं?
Aap kahaan se hain?
Where are you from?
What do you do?
आप क्या करते हैं?
Aap kya karte hain?
What do you do?
For a female person:
आप क्या करती हैं?
Aap kya karti hain?
What do you do?
Who is he/she?
वह कौन है?
Woh kaun hai?
Who is he/she?
How are you?
Formal:
आप कैसे हैं?
Aap kaise hain?
Informal:
तुम कैसे हो?
Tum kaise ho?
🔗 8. Useful Connecting Words
Connecting words help you combine short sentences and make your introduction sound more natural.
| Hindi | Roman Hindi | English |
|---|---|---|
| और | Aur | And |
| लेकिन | Lekin | But |
| क्योंकि | Kyonki | Because |
| भी | Bhi | Also / too |
| या | Ya | Or |
Example
मेरा नाम डेविड है और मैं कनाडा से हूँ।
Mera naam David hai aur main Canada se hoon.
My name is David, and I am from Canada.
Another Example
मैं भारत से हूँ लेकिन मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Bharat se hoon lekin main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
I am from India, but I am learning Hindi.
Hindi sentence structure
💬 Build a Longer Introduction
Now combine the grammar patterns.
Example — Male Speaker
नमस्ते! मेरा नाम डेविड है। मैं कनाडा से हूँ। मैं एक शिक्षक हूँ। मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ। मुझे यात्रा पसंद है।
Namaste! Mera naam David hai. Main Canada se hoon. Main ek shikshak hoon. Main Hindi seekh raha hoon. Mujhe yaatra pasand hai.
Hello! My name is David. I am from Canada. I am a teacher. I am learning Hindi. I like traveling.
Example — Female Speaker
नमस्ते! मेरा नाम एमा है। मैं अमेरिका से हूँ। मैं एक छात्रा हूँ। मैं हिंदी सीख रही हूँ। मुझे भारतीय संस्कृति पसंद है।
Namaste! Mera naam Emma hai. Main America se hoon. Main ek chhaatra hoon. Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon. Mujhe Bharatiya sanskriti pasand hai.
Hello! My name is Emma. I am from America. I am a student. I am learning Hindi. I like Indian culture.
⚠️ 9. Common Beginner Mistakes
Understanding common mistakes can help you avoid translating English word-for-word.
❌ Mistake 1
मैं नाम जॉन हूँ।
This follows English word order too closely.
✅ Correct
मेरा नाम जॉन है।
Mera naam John hai.
My name is John.
❌ Mistake 2
मैं अमेरिका हूँ।
This literally says something like "I am America."
✅ Correct
मैं अमेरिका से हूँ।
Main America se hoon.
I am from America.
formal and informal Hindi
❌ Mistake 3
आप कैसे है?
The respectful pronoun आप takes हैं in this pattern.
✅ Correct
आप कैसे हैं?
Aap kaise hain?
How are you?
❌ Mistake 4
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा है।
The subject मैं requires हूँ, not है, in this sentence.
✅ Correct
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
I am learning Hindi.
For a female speaker:
मैं हिंदी सीख रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon.
❌ Mistake 5: Using "Tum" With Everyone
Beginners sometimes translate every English "you" as तुम.
But Hindi distinguishes between different levels of familiarity and respect.
✅ Better Beginner Choice
When speaking to a stranger, teacher, elderly person, professional, or someone you don't know well:
आप (Aap)
📝 10. Quick Grammar Practice
Complete these sentences.
1. Name
मेरा नाम __________ है।
Mera naam __________ hai.
My name is __________.
2. Country / City
मैं __________ से हूँ।
Main __________ se hoon.
I am from __________.
3. Language
Male:
मैं __________ सीख रहा हूँ।
Main __________ seekh raha hoon.
Female:
मैं __________ सीख रही हूँ।
Main __________ seekh rahi hoon.
I am learning __________.
4. Profession
मैं एक __________ हूँ।
Main ek __________ hoon.
I am a __________.
5. Likes
मुझे __________ पसंद है।
Mujhe __________ pasand hai.
I like __________.
basic Hindi grammar for self-introduction
🎯 Grammar Challenge
Try creating your own five-sentence introduction.
Use this structure:
1. मेरा नाम __________ है।
Mera naam __________ hai.
2. मैं __________ से हूँ।
Main __________ se hoon.
3. मैं एक __________ हूँ।
Main ek __________ hoon.
4. मैं हिंदी सीख रहा/रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha/rahi hoon.
5. मुझे __________ पसंद है।
Mujhe __________ pasand hai.
Now say your introduction aloud.
Don't worry about being perfect.
The goal is to speak, repeat, and improve.
Hindi grammar for beginners
🧠 Grammar Check
Before moving to the next lesson, see if you can answer these questions:
✅ Can you say your name in Hindi?
✅ Can you say where you're from?
✅ Can you say what you do?
✅ Can you say that you're learning Hindi?
✅ Can you ask someone their name?
✅ Can you ask where someone is from?
✅ Can you use आप (Aap) respectfully?
✅ Can you use हूँ (Hoon), है (Hai), and हैं (Hain) correctly?
✅ Can you recognize रहा (Raha) and रही (Rahi)?
If you can do most of these, you're ready to move forward. 🎉
🚀 What You'll Learn Next
In Part 3B, you'll combine these grammar patterns into complete, natural self-introductions.
You'll practice introductions used by:
🌍 Travelers
🎓 Students
💼 Professionals
👩🏫 Language learners
🤝 New friends
🏨 Visitors in India
You'll move from individual grammar patterns to real-life Hindi conversations.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I introduce myself in Hindi?
A simple Hindi self-introduction can begin with:
मेरा नाम ___ है।
Mera naam ___ hai.
My name is ___.
You can then add:
मैं ___ से हूँ।
Main ___ se hoon.
I am from ___.
And:
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा/रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha/rahi hoon.
I am learning Hindi.
2. What are the basic Hindi pronouns?
Some important Hindi pronouns for beginners are:
मैं (Main) — I
आप (Aap) — You, formal/respectful
तुम (Tum) — You, informal
वह (Woh) — He/She/That
यह (Yeh) — This/He/She
हम (Hum) — We
वे (Ve/Woh) — They
3. What is the difference between Aap and Tum?
आप (Aap) is formal and respectful, while तुम (Tum) is generally informal and familiar.
For beginners, आप is the safer choice when speaking with strangers, teachers, elderly people, professionals, or people you don't know well.
4. What does "Main Hindi seekh raha hoon" mean?
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
It means:
I am learning Hindi.
A female speaker commonly says:
मैं हिंदी सीख रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon.
5. What is the basic Hindi sentence structure?
Hindi commonly follows:
Subject + Object + Verb
For example:
मैं हिंदी बोलता हूँ।
Main Hindi bolta hoon.
Literally:
I + Hindi + speak.
6. How do you say "What is your name?" in Hindi?
Formal/respectful:
आपका नाम क्या है?
Aapka naam kya hai?
Informal:
तुम्हारा नाम क्या है?
Tumhara naam kya hai?
7. How do you say "Where are you from?" in Hindi?
Formal/respectful:
आप कहाँ से हैं?
Aap kahaan se hain?
Where are you from?
8. Is Hindi grammar difficult for beginners?
Hindi grammar has some features that may be unfamiliar to English speakers, especially gender, verb agreement, and word order.
However, beginners can make rapid progress by learning common sentence patterns and practicing them in real conversations rather than trying to memorize every grammar rule at once.
📚 Complete Hindi Course Roadmap
Follow the complete step-by-step Hindi course from Lesson 1 to Lesson 140. Each lesson builds naturally on the previous one, making it easy to become confident in speaking Hindi.
Learning Journey
✅ Hindi Alphabet
↓
✅ Pronunciation
↓
✅ Greetings
↓
✅ Daily Conversations
↓
✅ Grammar Basics
↓
✅ Tenses
↓
✅ Vocabulary Builder
↓
✅ Travel Hindi
↓
✅ Business Hindi
↓
✅ Reading Practice
↓
✅ Writing Practice
↓
✅ Speaking Practice
↓
✅ Advanced Grammar
↓
🎓 Hindi FluencyDownload Now
Hindi conversation for beginners
🌟 Final Takeaway
You don't need perfect Hindi grammar to start speaking.
Begin with a few powerful patterns:
मेरा नाम ___ है।
Mera naam ___ hai.
My name is ___.
मैं ___ से हूँ।
Main ___ se hoon.
I am from ___.
मैं हिंदी सीख रहा/रही हूँ।
Main Hindi seekh raha/rahi hoon.
I am learning Hindi.
आपका नाम क्या है?
Aapka naam kya hai?
What is your name?
आप कहाँ से हैं?
Aap kahaan se hain?
Where are you from?
Learn the pattern.
Repeat the pattern.
Use the pattern.
Then make it your own.
That is how Hindi grammar becomes speaking Hindi. 🇮🇳
Hindi self introduction

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:
एक टिप्पणी भेजें