बुधवार, 23 सितंबर 2026

Introducing Yourself in Hindi: Easy Hindi Self-Introduction for Beginners

🙋 Introducing Yourself in Hindi: Easy Hindi Self-Introduction for Beginners
Hindi • Roman Hindi • English

Learning how to introduce yourself is one of the first things you need when speaking Hindi.

Whether you're traveling in India, meeting Indian friends, joining a Hindi class, speaking with colleagues, or simply starting your Hindi-learning journey, a simple self-introduction gives you the confidence to begin a conversation.

The good news? You don't need complicated Hindi.

With a few useful sentences such as “Mera naam…”, “Main…”, “Main … se hoon”, and “Aapse milkar khushi hui,” you can introduce yourself naturally in Hindi. 😊

In this beginner-friendly lesson, you'll learn:

  • How to say your name in Hindi

  • How to say where you are from

  • How to say where you live

  • How to talk about your work or studies

  • How to say what languages you speak

  • How to talk about your hobbies

  • Formal and informal introductions

  • Hindi pronunciation through Roman Hindi

  • A complete self-introduction example

  • Mini conversation practice

  • Common mistakes beginners make

  • Practice exercises and a mini quiz


🎯 What You'll Learn

By the end of this lesson, you'll be able to give a short Hindi self-introduction like:

Namaste! Mera naam Alex hai. Main Canada se hoon. Main Toronto mein rehta hoon. Main ek student hoon. Mujhe Hindi seekhna pasand hai. Aapse milkar khushi hui!

English:

Hello! My name is Alex. I am from Canada. I live in Toronto. I am a student. I like learning Hindi. Nice to meet you!

That's already a real conversation. 🎉


🗣️ 1. The Most Important Sentence: “My Name Is…”

The easiest way to introduce your name in Hindi is:

मेरा नाम ___ है।

Mera naam ___ hai.
My name is ___.

Examples

HindiRoman HindiEnglish
मेरा नाम Alex है।Mera naam Alex hai.My name is Alex.
मेरा नाम Maria है।Mera naam Maria hai.My name is Maria.
मेरा नाम David है।Mera naam David hai.My name is David.
मेरा नाम Emma है।Mera naam Emma hai.My name is Emma.

🧠 Remember It

Mera = my
Naam = name
Hai = is

So:

Mera naam + name + hai

It's one of the most useful Hindi sentence patterns for beginners.

how to say where are you from in Hindi


👋 2. Start With “Namaste”

A polite introduction often begins with:

नमस्ते!

Namaste!
Hello! / Greetings!

You can use Namaste when meeting someone for the first time.

For example:

Namaste! Mera naam Sarah hai.

Hello! My name is Sarah.

You can also hear नमस्कार (Namaskaar), a more formal greeting.

Namaste vs Namaskaar

HindiRoman HindiMeaning
नमस्तेNamasteHello / Greetings
नमस्कारNamaskaarGreetings / Hello

For beginners, Namaste is an excellent word to learn first.

Hindi sentences for beginners


🌍 3. Say Where You Are From

Now let's say:

I am from Canada.

मैं कनाडा से हूँ।

Main Canada se hoon.
I am from Canada.

The pattern is:

मैं + country/place + से हूँ।

Main + place + se hoon.

Examples

मैं भारत से हूँ।
Main Bharat se hoon.
I am from India.

मैं अमेरिका से हूँ।
Main America se hoon.
I am from the United States.

मैं ब्रिटेन से हूँ।
Main Britain se hoon.
I am from Britain.

मैं जापान से हूँ।
Main Japan se hoon.
I am from Japan.

मैं ऑस्ट्रेलिया से हूँ।
Main Australia se hoon.
I am from Australia.

how to say my name is in Hindi


🏠 4. Say Where You Live

Being from a country and living in a city are slightly different.

मैं दिल्ली में रहता हूँ।

Main Delhi mein rehta hoon.
I live in Delhi.

For a female speaker:

मैं दिल्ली में रहती हूँ।

Main Delhi mein rehti hoon.
I live in Delhi.

The Pattern

Main + place + mein + rehta/rehti hoon.

SpeakerHindiRoman Hindi
Maleमैं मुंबई में रहता हूँ।Main Mumbai mein rehta hoon.
Femaleमैं मुंबई में रहती हूँ।Main Mumbai mein rehti hoon.

Important:

rehta hoon → commonly used by male speakers
rehti hoon → commonly used by female speakers

This is an important Hindi grammar pattern that you'll encounter again and again.


👨‍🎓 5. Talk About Your Job or Studies

You can easily add your occupation to your introduction.

मैं एक छात्र हूँ।

Main ek chhaatr hoon.
I am a male student.

मैं एक छात्रा हूँ।

Main ek chhaatra hoon.
I am a female student.

You can also say:

मैं एक शिक्षक हूँ।

Main ek shikshak hoon.
I am a teacher.

मैं एक डॉक्टर हूँ।

Main ek doctor hoon.
I am a doctor.

मैं एक इंजीनियर हूँ।

Main ek engineer hoon.
I am an engineer.

मैं एक लेखक हूँ।

Main ek lekhak hoon.
I am a writer.

मैं एक कलाकार हूँ।

Main ek kalaakaar hoon.
I am an artist.


💼 6. A More Natural Way to Talk About Your Work

You can say:

मैं एक कंपनी में काम करता हूँ।

Main ek company mein kaam karta hoon.
I work at a company.

Female speaker:

मैं एक कंपनी में काम करती हूँ।

Main ek company mein kaam karti hoon.
I work at a company.

The key pattern is:

Main + place/company + mein + kaam karta/karti hoon.


🗣️ 7. Talk About the Languages You Speak

For global Hindi learners, this is especially useful.

मैं अंग्रेज़ी बोलता हूँ।

Main Angrezi bolta hoon.
I speak English.

Female:

मैं अंग्रेज़ी बोलती हूँ।

Main Angrezi bolti hoon.
I speak English.

To say that you speak Hindi:

मैं हिंदी बोलता हूँ।

Main Hindi bolta hoon.
I speak Hindi.

Female:

मैं हिंदी बोलती हूँ।

Main Hindi bolti hoon.

You can also say:

मैं थोड़ी हिंदी बोलता हूँ।

Main thodi Hindi bolta hoon.
I speak a little Hindi.

Female:

मैं थोड़ी हिंदी बोलती हूँ।

Main thodi Hindi bolti hoon.

⭐ This sentence is particularly useful when you're still learning.


❤️ 8. Talk About Your Hobbies

Now let's make your introduction more interesting.

मुझे संगीत पसंद है।

Mujhe sangeet pasand hai.
I like music.

मुझे किताबें पढ़ना पसंद है।

Mujhe kitaabein padhna pasand hai.
I like reading books.

मुझे फ़िल्में देखना पसंद है।

Mujhe filmein dekhna pasand hai.
I like watching movies.

मुझे यात्रा करना पसंद है।

Mujhe yaatra karna pasand hai.
I like traveling.

मुझे हिंदी सीखना पसंद है।

Mujhe Hindi seekhna pasand hai.
I like learning Hindi.

This last sentence is perfect for Hindi learners. ❤️


🧩 9. The “Mujhe … Pasand Hai” Pattern

You'll hear this structure constantly in everyday Hindi.

मुझे ___ पसंद है।

Mujhe ___ pasand hai.
I like ___.

Examples:

Mujhe chai pasand hai.
I like tea.

Mujhe coffee pasand hai.
I like coffee.

Mujhe cricket pasand hai.
I like cricket.

Mujhe Hindi pasand hai.
I like Hindi.

Mujhe kitaabein pasand hain.
I like books.

Notice something interesting:

hai and hain can change depending on the noun and sentence structure.

Don't worry about mastering every grammar detail immediately. First, become comfortable with useful conversational patterns.


😊 10. Say “Nice to Meet You”

After introducing yourself, you can say:

आपसे मिलकर खुशी हुई।

Aapse milkar khushi hui.
Nice to meet you.

Break it down:

Aapse = with you / meeting you
milkar = having met
khushi hui = felt happy

A simpler beginner-friendly way to remember the whole expression is simply:

Aapse milkar khushi hui.

introduce yourself in Hindi


🙋 11. Ask the Other Person's Name

A conversation shouldn't stop after your introduction!

You can ask:

आपका नाम क्या है?

Aapka naam kya hai?
What is your name?

Then the conversation can flow naturally:

Aapka naam kya hai?
What's your name?

Mera naam Daniel hai.
My name is Daniel.


🌎 12. Ask Where Someone Is From

आप कहाँ से हैं?

Aap kahaan se hain?
Where are you from?

Possible answer:

Main France se hoon.
I am from France.

Or:

Main India se hoon.
I am from India.


🏙️ 13. Ask Where Someone Lives

आप कहाँ रहते हैं?

Aap kahaan rehte hain?
Where do you live?

To a female:

आप कहाँ रहती हैं?

Aap kahaan rehti hain?

Answer:

Main London mein rehta hoon.
I live in London.

Or:

Main London mein rehti hoon.


🔑 14. Five Sentence Patterns to Memorize

Instead of memorizing dozens of disconnected sentences, learn these five patterns.

Pattern 1 — Name

Mera naam ___ hai.
My name is ___.

Pattern 2 — Origin

Main ___ se hoon.
I am from ___.

Pattern 3 — Residence

Main ___ mein rehta/rehti hoon.
I live in ___.

Pattern 4 — Occupation

Main ek ___ hoon.
I am a ___.

Pattern 5 — Interest

Mujhe ___ pasand hai.
I like ___.

🎯 With these five structures, you can already build many different introductions.

basic Hindi conversation


🗣️ 15. Complete Beginner Self-Introduction

Let's put everything together.

Hindi

नमस्ते! मेरा नाम Emma है। मैं कनाडा से हूँ। मैं टोरंटो में रहती हूँ। मैं एक छात्रा हूँ। मैं अंग्रेज़ी बोलती हूँ और थोड़ी हिंदी बोलती हूँ। मुझे किताबें पढ़ना और यात्रा करना पसंद है। मुझे हिंदी सीखना भी पसंद है। आपसे मिलकर खुशी हुई!

Roman Hindi

Namaste! Mera naam Emma hai. Main Canada se hoon. Main Toronto mein rehti hoon. Main ek chhaatra hoon. Main Angrezi bolti hoon aur thodi Hindi bolti hoon. Mujhe kitaabein padhna aur yaatra karna pasand hai. Mujhe Hindi seekhna bhi pasand hai. Aapse milkar khushi hui!

English

Hello! My name is Emma. I am from Canada. I live in Toronto. I am a student. I speak English and a little Hindi. I like reading books and traveling. I also like learning Hindi. Nice to meet you!

Hindi conversation for beginners


🎭 16. Real-Life Mini Conversation

Here's how your introduction might sound in an actual conversation.

👤 Person A

Namaste! Aapka naam kya hai?

Hello! What is your name?

👤 Person B

Namaste! Mera naam Emma hai.

Hello! My name is Emma.

👤 Person A

Aap kahaan se hain?

Where are you from?

👤 Person B

Main Canada se hoon.

I'm from Canada.

👤 Person A

Aap kahaan rehti hain?

Where do you live?

👤 Person B

Main Toronto mein rehti hoon.

I live in Toronto.

👤 Person A

Aap kya karti hain?

What do you do?

👤 Person B

Main ek student hoon.

I'm a student.

👤 Person A

Aapko Hindi pasand hai?

Do you like Hindi?

👤 Person B

Haan, mujhe Hindi seekhna pasand hai!

Yes, I like learning Hindi!

👤 Person A

Aapse milkar khushi hui.

Nice to meet you.

👤 Person B

Mujhe bhi!

Me too!


💡 17. “Mujhe Bhi” — A Tiny Phrase With Big Value

You'll often hear:

मुझे भी।

Mujhe bhi.
Me too.

For example:

Mujhe Hindi pasand hai.
I like Hindi.

Mujhe bhi!
Me too!

This tiny phrase makes your conversations sound more natural.


⚠️ 18. Common Beginner Mistakes

❌ Mistake 1: “Main naam Alex hai”

Don't say:

Main naam Alex hai.

Instead:

✅ मेरा नाम Alex है।

Mera naam Alex hai.


Mistake 2: Confusing “Main” and “Mera”

Main = I

Mera = my

Compare:

Main student hoon.
I am a student.

Mera naam Alex hai.
My name is Alex.


Mistake 3: Forgetting “se”

To say where you're from:

❌ Main Canada hoon.

Better:

✅ Main Canada se hoon.

I am from Canada.

se helps express the idea of “from.”


Mistake 4: Mixing “mein” and “se”

Remember:

se → from

mein → in

Compare:

Main India se hoon.
I am from India.

Main Delhi mein rehta hoon.
I live in Delhi.


🧠 19. Easy Memory Trick

Think of your introduction as a 5-step journey:

👋 NAME

Mera naam…

🌍 FROM

Main … se hoon.

🏠 LIVE

Main … mein rehta/rehti hoon.

💼 WORK/STUDY

Main ek … hoon.

❤️ LIKE

Mujhe … pasand hai.

Remember:

Name → From → Live → Work/Study → Like

This makes it much easier to create a self-introduction without memorizing one giant paragraph.


🎯 20. Build Your Own Hindi Introduction

Fill in the blanks.

Step 1 — Greeting

Namaste!

Step 2 — Name

Mera naam __________ hai.

Step 3 — Country

Main __________ se hoon.

Step 4 — City

Main __________ mein rehta/rehti hoon.

Step 5 — Work/Study

Main ek __________ hoon.

Step 6 — Language

Main __________ bolta/bolti hoon.

Step 7 — Hobby

Mujhe __________ pasand hai.

Step 8 — Finish

Aapse milkar khushi hui!

🎉 Congratulations — you've just created your first Hindi self-introduction!

Hindi introduction for beginners


📝 21. Practice Exercise: Complete the Sentences

Fill in the missing words.

1.

Mera ________ Maria hai.

a) naam
b) se
c) mein

2.

Main Japan ________ hoon.

a) mein
b) se
c) naam

3.

Main Delhi ________ rehta hoon.

a) se
b) mein
c) ka

4.

Mujhe Hindi ________ pasand hai.

a) seekhna
b) se
c) naam

5.

Aapka naam ________ hai?

a) kahaan
b) kya
c) kaise


✅ Answers

  1. naam

  2. se

  3. mein

  4. seekhna

  5. kya


🎤 22. Speaking Challenge

Now it's your turn!

Don't simply read the examples.

Stand up, look in a mirror, and introduce yourself in Hindi.

Try to say:

Namaste! Mera naam ___ hai. Main ___ se hoon. Main ___ mein rehta/rehti hoon. Main ek ___ hoon. Main ___ bolta/bolti hoon. Mujhe ___ pasand hai. Aapse milkar khushi hui!

Beginner Challenge

Say your introduction:

once slowly → once normally → once without looking

That's how passive knowledge starts becoming speaking ability.


🚀 23. 30-Second Hindi Introduction Challenge

Can you introduce yourself in Hindi in 30 seconds?

Use this structure:

Namaste!
Mera naam ___ hai.
Main ___ se hoon.
Main ___ mein rehta/rehti hoon.
Main ek ___ hoon.
Main ___ bolta/bolti hoon.
Mujhe ___ pasand hai.
Mujhe Hindi seekhna pasand hai.
Aapse milkar khushi hui!

🎯 Don't worry about perfection.

Your first goal is communication, not perfect grammar.


🌟 24. 10 Essential Hindi Introduction Sentences

Save these sentences for quick revision:


HindiRoman HindiEnglish
1नमस्ते!Namaste!Hello!
2मेरा नाम ___ है।Mera naam ___ hai.My name is ___.
3मैं ___ से हूँ।Main ___ se hoon.I am from ___.
4मैं ___ में रहता हूँ।Main ___ mein rehta hoon.I live in ___.
5मैं ___ में रहती हूँ।Main ___ mein rehti hoon.I live in ___.
6मैं एक छात्र हूँ।Main ek chhaatr hoon.I am a student.
7मैं हिंदी बोलता हूँ।Main Hindi bolta hoon.I speak Hindi.
8मुझे हिंदी सीखना पसंद है।Mujhe Hindi seekhna pasand hai.I like learning Hindi.
9आपका नाम क्या है?Aapka naam kya hai?What is your name?
10आपसे मिलकर खुशी हुई।Aapse milkar khushi hui.Nice to meet you.

🧭 25. Formal vs Informal Hindi

Hindi changes depending on who you're speaking with.

For beginners, aap is an important polite form of “you.”

Polite

Aapka naam kya hai?
What is your name?

Informal

Tumhara naam kya hai?
What is your name?

You may hear tum among friends, people of similar age, or in familiar situations.

However, when you're meeting someone for the first time, aap is a useful and respectful choice.

Hindi phrases for beginners


🔊 26. Pronunciation Help

Here are some words worth practicing slowly:

Mera

मे-रा
Me-ra

Naam

ना-म
Naam

Kahaan

क-हाँ
Kahaan

Rehta

रे-ह-ता
Rehta

Rehti

रे-ह-ती
Rehti

Pasand

प-संद
Pasand

Khushi

खु-शी
Khushi

Hindi

हिन्-दी
Hindi

Don't try to speak every word extremely fast. Clear pronunciation is more useful than speed when you're starting.

Hindi self introduction


🎮 27. The “5-Second Introduction Game”

Here's a fun way to practice.

Look at each prompt and answer within five seconds.

👤 Your name?

Mera naam ______ hai.

🌍 Your country?

Main ______ se hoon.

🏠 Your city?

Main ______ mein rehta/rehti hoon.

💼 Your job?

Main ek ______ hoon.

❤️ Your hobby?

Mujhe ______ pasand hai.

🇮🇳 Why are you learning Hindi?

Try:

Main Hindi seekh raha hoon.
I am learning Hindi. (male)

Main Hindi seekh rahi hoon.
I am learning Hindi. (female)


🧠 28. One Grammar Idea to Notice

Hindi often changes certain words depending on the speaker's gender.

For example:

Male:

Main rehta hoon.

Main bolta hoon.

Main karta hoon.

Female:

Main rehti hoon.

Main bolti hoon.

Main karti hoon.

You don't need to memorize every grammar rule today.

Instead, learn the patterns naturally through repeated speaking practice.


 Quick Reference: Male vs Female Forms

MeaningMaleFemale
I liveMain rehta hoonMain rehti hoon
I speakMain bolta hoonMain bolti hoon
I work/doMain karta hoonMain karti hoon
I am learningMain seekh raha hoonMain seekh rahi hoon

Important: Some nouns, professions, and expressions don't change this way, so don't assume every Hindi sentence needs a masculine/feminine variation.


🌍 29. Why This Lesson Matters

A self-introduction is more than a list of vocabulary.

It gives you a conversation framework.

Once you know:

Mera naam…

you can talk about your identity.

Once you know:

Main … se hoon.

you can talk about your background.

Once you know:

Main … mein rehta/rehti hoon.

you can talk about where you live.

Once you know:

Mujhe … pasand hai.

you can talk about your interests.

And suddenly, you aren't just memorizing Hindi words — you're using Hindi to talk about yourself. ❤️

how to introduce yourself in Hindi


🏆 30. Final Speaking Mission

Before moving to the next lesson, record yourself saying your introduction.

Your mission:

🎙️ Record a 30–45 second Hindi introduction.

Include:

  • Your greeting

  • Your name

  • Your country

  • Your city

  • Your work/studies

  • A language you speak

  • One hobby

  • Why you're learning Hindi

  • “Nice to meet you”

Then listen to your recording.

Don't worry if it isn't perfect.

Record it again.

And again.

By the third or fourth attempt, you'll usually notice that the sentences begin to feel much more natural.


🌟 Final Cheat Sheet

👋 Hello

Namaste!

🙋 My name is…

Mera naam ___ hai.

🌍 I am from…

Main ___ se hoon.

🏠 I live in…

Main ___ mein rehta/rehti hoon.

👨‍🎓 I am a student.

Main ek student hoon.

🗣️ I speak Hindi.

Main Hindi bolta/bolti hoon.

❤️ I like…

Mujhe ___ pasand hai.

🇮🇳 I like learning Hindi.

Mujhe Hindi seekhna pasand hai.

❓ What is your name?

Aapka naam kya hai?

🌎 Where are you from?

Aap kahaan se hain?

😊 Nice to meet you.

Aapse milkar khushi hui.

introducing yourself in Hindi


🔗 Where This Fits in Your Beginner Conversation Roadmap

Level 1 — Beginner Conversations

  1. 👋 Saying Hello

  2. 🙋 Introducing Yourself ← You are here

  3. ❓ Asking Someone's Name

  4. 🌍 Talking About Your Country

  5. 👨‍👩‍👧 Family Conversation

  6. 🕐 Daily Routine

  7. ❓ Asking Simple Questions

  8. ⏰ Talking About Time

  9. ☀️ Weather Conversation

  10. 🔢 Numbers Conversation

This sequence creates a natural progression: greeting → identity → questions → personal information → everyday conversation. 🌱


कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें